Since its founding in 1957, The Lighthouse Church has endeavored to be a light to our city, our state, and beyond. In fulfilling this most basic of Christ's commands, The Lighthouse Church has touched the lives of countless people throughout the world.
1957 Church Founded The Lighthouse Church began in 1957 as a mission church of White Chapel Church of God in South Daytona, and was originally called The First Church of God. For several years they met in rented buildings or houses of members.
1960 Rev. Luther Moore In 1960, Rev. Luther Moore became pastor and the church moved into its first building at 126 S. Ridgewood Ave. that same year.
1963 First Sanctuary Completed A sanctuary with a capacity for 125 was completed and regular services began.
1967 Pastor Jim and Gerri Moore In 1967, Jim Moore (son of Reverend Luther Moore) began a 7 year tenure as Senior Pastor. He and his wife, Gerri, served faithfully from 1967 until 1974.
1972 Expanding the Kingdom Construction on a large cafeteria and additional classrooms was completed. The space would be utilized for the newly founded childcare center, which was established by Pastor Gerri. Jean Walker's 4 year old class is pictured here.
1974 Pastor Sam Spencer Pastor Spencer served as Senior Pastor from 1974 until 1979.
1979 Pastor David Walker Formerly the Associate Pastor at White Chapel Church of God, David Walker began what would be the longest tenure of any Senior Pastor at The Lighthouse Church. Pastor Dave (second from left) is pictured here at his ordination ceremony, along with his wife, Jean.
August 1980 First Church of God Christian School Pastor Dave would found the First Church of God Christian school in August 1980, with an initial population of 6 students in the 1st grade.
1982 A Growing School As the Christian School grew, construction was completed to expand the campus. Pastor Dave is pictured here, welcoming students and teachers into their newly built classrooms.
1986 Ministry to Children With the growth of the school, the church welcomed many of the school's students to Sunday morning and Wednesday evening activities. Many of the school's teachers also served in children's ministry leadership roles at the church, including Pioneer Girls leaders Mrs. Glenda Jones (School Principal) and Mrs. Laura Pennell (Middle School & High School Teacher), pictured third and fourth from right respectively.
1987 A New Location, A New Name The congregation expanded, and a new property was purchased. The First Church of God moved across town to the sanctuary on Grand Avenue and renamed itself Lighthouse Christian Center. The Christian School became Lighthouse Christian Academy, and classes continued to meet at the Ridgewood Avenue campus.
1989 Lighthouse Christian Children's Home Pastor Dave and the Lighthouse Christian Center founded the Lighthouse Christian Children's Home for orphans in Salur, India. It opened its doors to children in 1989, with Lighthouse Church members committing to monthly sponsorships for each child. To this day, the orphanage continues to provide a loving home for children, providing for their physical, educational, and spiritual needs under the direction of Pastor Kumar. Our congregation now sponsors 69 children in the Home.
August 1994 Lighthouse Christian Academy Expands As the school continued to grow, the upper grades were moved to the church campus ("North Campus") on Grand Avenue. Middle School and High School teachers welcomed students into their new classrooms in the fall of 1994, and Mrs. Glenda Jones became the upper grades Principal. A second daycare program was also opened at the North Campus under the leadership of Mrs. Robin Hull. Lighthouse Christian Academy (LCA) hosted a combination Open House/Ministry Fair for the community.
1999 Sharing the Good News in India During this decade, Pastor Dave would make several missions trips to India, visiting the Lighthouse Christian Children's Home in Salur and leading many crusades to share the Good News throughout the region. To date, Pastor Dave has made over 7 missions trips to India, and continues to travel throughout the world, spreading the message of salvation.
2003 A New Home In 2003, Lighthouse Christian Center purchased the property at 1525 S. SR 15-A from The Sanctuary church. With this move, the church adopted the new name of The Lighthouse Church.
2007 Pastor Paul Bryan After nearly 30 years of ministry, Pastor Dave Walker retired from his position as Senior Pastor of The Lighthouse Church, and Assistant Pastor Paul Bryan became the new Senior Pastor in 2007.
2014 Ministry in Nicaragua The missions team to Nicaragua provided first aid, food, and hygiene supplies to children living in poverty in Corinto. Working closely with area's local missionaries, Cheyenne and Arellys Bodie of International Gospel Outreach, the missions team prayed for the sick, ministered to the lost, and helped the needy.
2018 Transition - Pastor Antione Ashley After nearly 15 years of service, sacrifice, and ministry, Pastor Paul Bryan transitioned from the senior pastorate of The Lighthouse Church, and Assistant Pastor Antione Ashley became the new Senior Pastor in 2018.
We Would Love to Have You Visit Soon!
Mon-Thurs: 9am -1pm
386-734-4631 ext. 221
1525 South State Road 15-A | Deland, Florida 32720